Who am I?

Loganville, GA, United States
I'm a Christian woman married to a wonderful pastor's son. I thank the Lord for loving me enough to not only save me, but to send me such a wonderful man!~~~ Mom/step-mom to 6, w/4 grandkids so far. ~~~I have such diverse interests, I'm not quite sure where to start.~~~I'm a child of God; mom; daughter; wife; sister; aunt; cousin; niece; daughter-in-law; friend; entrepreneur; marketer; but mostly a goofball who loves her life!~~~I love, laugh, sing, cry, read, surf the WWW, blog, make endless lists. ~~~Food is a weakness and a passion.~~~Coffee is good - in moderation.~~~Randomness keeps life from getting boring.~~~***~~~And just in case you're wondering why my main blog is called Inside KATY's Head, Katy is a nickname for my 1st name, and what my mother-in-law thought I looked like when she first saw my picture. And it's easier to type!!!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kelly Got a Job!

My daughter Kelly landed a job yesterday afternoon. Kelly is my miracle child, and she's been quite the test of the strength of my faith in the past few years. Let me explain just a little:

Kelly was born with a rare neuromuscular disease. She was born with what was called "floppy infant syndrome," a generic term for lack of muscle/muscle control. The consulting physician told her father & I that she would not live, due to a highly elevated level of muscle protein in her bloodstream. At the time, I was not a believer, but I agreed to let others pray for her, and decided that I would enjoy whatever time I had with her. The MDA has been a tremendous help to us over the years, although we have never gotten a definitive diagnosis. Today, she is an active 24 year old young woman who uses her wheelchair to get around when there is a lot of walking to do. One cannot tell that there is anything "wrong" with her just by looking at her.

Kelly is very intelligent, is easy to get along with, and loves people. Other than her limited mobility, she's pretty much "normal". (That being said, think of "normal"in terms of rebellion as well.) However, she has a lazy streak that I believe she has cultivated over the past few years to almost an art form. She has been on SSDI since she was 2 years old, and as an adult, has maintained that "income" so as to have the freedom to do whatever she likes whenever she likes. She has only held one full-time job, and that was short-lived.

The fact that Kelly has decided to work is a major milestone. She has been living with friends in Colorado for almost a year, and was planning a vacation to Florida to visit with family and friends. Her cousin is having a baby, and Kelly hasn't seen her father, brother or sister in some time. The decision to take this position instead of a vacation is a mature decision, and I'm proud of her. She made this choice on her own, without prompting from her parents or friends (whom she usually call upon for advice/support in such matters).

YAY, Kelly! And thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment