Who am I?

Loganville, GA, United States
I'm a Christian woman married to a wonderful pastor's son. I thank the Lord for loving me enough to not only save me, but to send me such a wonderful man!~~~ Mom/step-mom to 6, w/4 grandkids so far. ~~~I have such diverse interests, I'm not quite sure where to start.~~~I'm a child of God; mom; daughter; wife; sister; aunt; cousin; niece; daughter-in-law; friend; entrepreneur; marketer; but mostly a goofball who loves her life!~~~I love, laugh, sing, cry, read, surf the WWW, blog, make endless lists. ~~~Food is a weakness and a passion.~~~Coffee is good - in moderation.~~~Randomness keeps life from getting boring.~~~***~~~And just in case you're wondering why my main blog is called Inside KATY's Head, Katy is a nickname for my 1st name, and what my mother-in-law thought I looked like when she first saw my picture. And it's easier to type!!!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Bring On The Wrinkles!

Gladys & Me


I received one of the best blessings this weekend. We went back to TN so AC could visit w/his folks & finish up some work in the shop for a friend. While he was doing that, I did some running around town with my mother-in-law, Phyllis. Among our many stops, we decided to go to the nursing home where one of our church members has been for quite some time.

Now I'm not sure how old "Mamaw" Gladys Pierce is, but she's led a very full life. She always had a kind word, and was quick with witty comebacks to everyone's kidding around. The love of God was written all over her face. I sat in front of her and her daughter, Sue, at church for several months. I looked forward each service to her hugs - good, strong, "I mean it!" hugs - before, during & after church. Right around Thanksgiving (I think), she became ill & was having trouble with her heart. She was in & out of the hospital, and Sue was having to deal with working while her mother was ill.

Well, as often happens, meaning to get over to see her never happened. Then AC & I moved to GA, and our weekend visits home left little time to go see her. So when Phyllis asked if I'd like to go, I jumped at the opportunity. Let me tell you, I wouldn't have traded those 40 minutes for a visit with anyone else on earth! I don't think she knew who we were, but the joy in her face at having visitors was evident. We kidded around, hugged, talked about the Lord, and prayed, and we even got her playing some memory exercises for a bit. Phyllis is a name freak, so she asked Gladys what her mother's name was. Gladys' answer? "Guess." So we guessed, asking for the first letter of the name, and as we got closer, she would tell us so.

I marvelled out loud at how soft her hands were while I held one in my hand & rubbed it against my cheek. She said, "Want to know what makes them so soft?" Of course, I said, "Yes." "Wrinkles!", she replied, with a sly little grin. What a hoot!

We asked what she had eaten, and after telling us, she said what she'd really like is some pinto beans & cornbread, and some milk. We said we'd check into getting some for her, and she said she wouldn't be there to eat it. When we asked why, she pointed toward heaven & said, "I'll be up there." I laughed & cried at the same time, telling her I was jealous that she was going to the banquet table!

As it came time for us to go, she asked if we could finish our errands later. (Breaks the heart, doesn't it?) I said that if we stayed, I'd have to crawl up there beside her & snuggle up, to which she replied, "Why don't you?" So I did, for just a moment.

Don't miss out on moments like this! Go out of your way, make time to visit somebody, spend time you think you don't have to make someone smile. You'll not only make them feel better, but you will, too! Life's too short to be so busy that you miss out on life's little moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment